It’s been a while since I’ve posted, and I thought now is a good time for me to post some useful information. I just recently updated my Mandriva 2007.0 to 2007.1 Spring Free. I’ve ran into several problem which I wish I had known about before getting into it as it has caused me several headaches. I will make a list below with the solutions I’ve found, and hopefully it will help others out too!

1) The most annoying problem I ran into was trying to download the Mandriva 2007 DVD iso (as of this writing there is no CD iso available). I used the torrent file provided on Mandriva’s site, and used Ktorrent to download it. After burning the ISO, the bootable DVD would not boot. As it turns out, Ktorrent is buggy and loses chunks of the file. DO NOT USE Ktorrent to download the ISO. I suggest using either the official bittorent client, or rtorrent, both of which come with Mandriva 2007.0. Also, I tried downloading the ISO from various mirrors, but they all timed out before the download would complete. Maybe you will have better luck.

In the end I ended up upgrading by using urpmi and pointing it to the new 2007.1 repositories on the mirror sites. Do as follows:
a) Configure urpmi to point to a mirror with the 2007.1 repositories.
b) run urpmi –auto-select urpmi
c) run urpmi –auto-select
d) run urpmi –auto-select kernel
e) reboot and hope for the best

2) After I had upgraded, I ran into a problem where running the command ‘su’ would not prompt me to enter a password and simply errored with ‘Invalid Password’. As it turns out, Mandriva updated su, as well as the file used by PAM. Fortunatly RPM made a backup of rpm. What you need to do is backup the existing /etc/pam/su, and then copy /etc/pam/su.rpmnew to /etc/pam/su. This fixed my problem.

3) The Ia Ora, and Galaxy KDE themes were missing and did not work. This threw me off because before I upgraded I was using the Galaxy2 theme. So after the upgrade when I booted into KDE all of a sudden the KDE title bars were missing and I thought there was a problem with X or KDE. As it turns out if you go into ‘Mandriva Start Button’ > ‘System’ > ‘Configuration’ > ‘Control Center’, then open up the ‘Apperance & Themes’ section, then select ‘Window Decorations’, you can select a different theme to get you up and running.

As of this writing, I’m still trying to figure out how to fix the missing Ia Ora and Galaxy themes, they are installed with the latest 2007.1 version, but just do not seem to work. I’ll update this once I find a solution.

*UPDATE* It turns out that the reason some themes were not showing up was because the 2007.1 upgrade set the video driver being used to a ‘generic’ driver, and I have an ATI radeon, also it set the resolution on my widscreen laptop monitor too high (1900 x something). I switched back to the proper video driver, and dropped my resolution back down to 1400×900 and this caused all the themes that were not working to start working again!

4) When starting and stopping the network using /etc/rc.d/init.d/network, I would get a bunch of errors like:
error: “Operation not permitted” reading key “net.ipv6.route.flush”
error: “Invalid argument” reading key “fs.binfmt_misc.register”

I believe this was caused because I never had IPV6 enabled, and I didn’t want to enable it since I don’t use it. After reading through the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script, I found a line that checks to see if the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/init.ipv6-global is executable, and if it is it tries to run it. All you have to do is remove the execution bit from this file (or delete or remove the file all together) and these errors will go away. I did a ‘chmod a-x /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/init.ipv6-global’ and it fixed the problem.

5) When I would boot up my laptop, everything would start up except networking. I would have to manually run ‘/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start’ after logging in to to get networking to start up. As it turns out there was never a startup script placed in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d for the networking service. I ran the command ‘chkconfig network on’, and that fixed the problem by creating the startup script etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10networking, I assume it also placed one in rc3.d but haven’t checked since I never enter run leve 3 on my laptop.

6) When powering off my laptop, I would get an error something like ‘no more processes at this run level’ and my laptop would not auto shutoff. I would have to hit the power button myself. This was caused by a conflict between apmd and acpi. I removed both apmd and acpi from the system (to do this just use the rpm -e command). I then used urpmi to re-add apmd and all is working again.

I’m sure there will be a few more annoyances that will arise, and I will post about them when I find them and fix them.